[Wiltshire] I'm back online at last but...

Dianne pramclub at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 20:26:51 UTC 2008

Thanks for all the help I've been given.

I finally put in a spare hdd, installed XP, whinged at Virgin, who told
me to power off modem, plug ethernet back in, etc etc - exactly what
i've been doing for 6 weeks, and the darn thing worked! Repartitioned
and installed 8.10 clean, and it worked.

XP wouldn't let me use my old user name, so in a fit of childish pique I
chose "linuxrules" as my user name. :)

The nvidia driver killed my display, so I've disabled that and will have
to manage with no special effects. :( Only other problem is that after
I'd restored a few firefox addons, that went funny, and now won't
display bookmarks on the bookmark bar. I removed everything and tried
each one to try and find the culprit but no joy, so I've reinstalled
them all and I'll use the bookmarks menu. I just don't care any more!

Now, the "but" - my husbands PC won't go on line! Perhaps we're in some
sort of parallel universe where everything is mirrored ...

Sorry this is so long - I've been offline so long I can't stop talking
now I'm back.

Dianne