[Wiltshire] Accounting software ?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Feb 27 15:00:19 GMT 2008

Greg wrote (to Andy):
> I, for one, would be interested in how you get on. I've loaded Gnucash a
> couple of times, but not yet used it in anger, or even in frustration. I
> used to use Quick Books when I had a Windows PC and had got used to its
> quirks.

I would be interested too.

I used Gnucash since around 1998 for personal finances (when it was
called xacc).  I bet familiarity has blinded me to some quirks, but as
its user interface improved over the years, it always seemed to me to
do the right thing when entering data.

When I started using it to record my business accounts last year, it
seemed very straightforward (and easier than personal finance).  The
only fiddly bit seemed to be the newish "Accounts Receivable" module -
for some reason, I was, at first, too dense to figure out how to enter
the date the invoice was raised, and when it was paid.

If you don't like the Gnucash invoice module, you can easily enter
sales into the ledger with fewer keystrokes, though you will instead
need a file drawer or a spreadsheet to track unpaid bills.

David