[Wiltshire] Library presentation was Meeting tomorrow

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Mar 10 15:35:57 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 13:40:20 John Larkworthy wrote:
> Dave,
>
> While I know we are the Wiltshire Linux Users Group I think most people
> will be concerned that they are loosing the software that came with their
> PC if we only concern ourselves with GNU/Linux.
That is very true.

> I would like to offer a smaller introduction to FLOSS by suggesting that
> they try other software and can experience the high quality that bigger
> projects achieve. I have to admit there are some dire niche projects but
> lets stick with best of breed if we can.
Agreed - that's how I got started:-
1) Install Open Office on Windows 98
2) Convert (as well as I could) the Word Perfect files I needed to keep
3) Work with that arrangement for a while
4) Set up the computer to dual boot and start using a bit of both
5) Shift the Open Office files over to the Linux installation
6) Eventually started to realise that I wasn't booting into Windows at all
7) Wipe the entire hard drive and do a full Linux install.

> Windows users are usually frightened that they will loose access to their
> games collection and I can offer no real alternative other than dual boot
> or virtualisation both are enough to scare off the novice.
Yes, installing, say, Debian as a virtual machine is a far more technical
exercise than installing it to a blank hard drive.
(thinking out loud)
But, methinks, it's perfectly possible to pass out copies of an open source,
ready installed virtual machine. USB flash drives are now plenty large enough
to take away a copy. Or it could be put on a server somewhere for download.
How hard is it to then install VirtualBox on Windows and get it to fire up
that virtual machine? I'll have to give it a whirl and see. Also have another
look at the install options and see how small the file can be made.

> I agree a set of how to notes about moving completely to Linux - when the
> games run too slow and you can only get Vista compatible games (Direct X 11
> anyone).
>
> I was thinking of keeping an ISO image on my laptop and burning CD's as
> needed but an external burner sounds good. I had no intention of landing
> myself with a large number of CD shaped coasters holding software I can't
> use.
(thinking out loud again)
In these dark days of widespread Windows virus infections, how smart would the
average Joe Public be to accept a CD from a complete stranger and start
installing programs from it onto his PC? We all know who JL is and that he is
trustworthy, but Joe Public doesn't. The same goes for the rest of us.

It might be better to base our offerings on the handout or emailed pdf. Or
have two separate documents, one for those who fancy giving the full blown
Linux install a try, the other listing FOSS that can be used on Windows, and
giving URLs to the download sites.

> regards,
>
> John.

Above all else, we need to attract some attention in the first place. What do
you think of the screen shots, John?

Dave