[Wiltshire] Library presentation was Meeting tomorrow

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Tue Mar 10 16:26:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> In these dark days of widespread Windows virus infections, how smart would the
> average Joe Public be to accept a CD from a complete stranger and start
> installing programs from it onto his PC?

I think Canonical will post LUGs a bundle of factory-pressed Ubuntu
CDs (DVDs?) to give away, if you ask nicely.

I bet Red Hat and Novell might too.  Don't know about Mozilla or Sun.

Also worth asking Linux Format (Future Publishing, Bath) if they are
willing to donate a bundle of magazines to the people of Swindon.

If you choose to instead to invite people to experience The GIMP,
OpenOffice.org and so forth on their Windows and Mac OS X machines,
then it will not be too daunting for them to download it **if** they
have a home broadband connection.  (If not, you may perpetuate the
digital divide.)

For those without broadband, there it seems almost unavoidable to
pre-print some CD-Rs with nice labels, and have a pile of
non-biodegradable coasters at the end of the day.  Unless .. you take
orders (charge 20 p a disc) and arrange for customers to come back to
the library to collect their software.

Just some thoughts, as I doubt I will be able to participate.