[Wiltshire] Library presentation was Meeting tomorrow

Sharon sharon.gray3 at virgin.net
Tue Mar 10 22:19:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am new to Wiltshire LUG and fairly new to Linux ... I don't do
anything very much command line. As a newbie I have tried a few
different Distro's. At the moment I really like Linux Mint as it is user
friendly for a novice such as myself. I am at present using Ubuntu but I
am considering changing back to Linux Mint. The one thing I do like
about Linux is I can try it from the Live CD to get a feel for the
different versions without loading them onto my hard drive. Then if I
like it I can load it. This as someone new to Linux is a very
unthreatening way of trying Linux. At present I actually have Linux on
an external hard drive and have my computer set up to boot to the
external hard drive first. If the hard drive is turned off then it goes
to the internal hard drive and windows boots up. This gives me a really
mobile system and doesn't affect the main drive that my partner plays
his windows games on. I have dual booted with windows in the past and
found it an easy process all I needed to know was to have Windows loaded
first before Linux, and linux loaded grub and did it all for me. I found
with Mandriva and Linux Mint that it guided me through the process quite
easily. As a newbie I found that I needed to use a Linux version that
would be quite intuitive to use after windows and for me it was
initially Simply Mepis (the only Linux version I found at the time that
would work with the wireless router I had, straight out of the box).
Mandriva was the next which after I changed the router was straight
forward to set up. I tried Ubuntu and had problems so went to Linux Mint
which was also quite intuitive and found everything, so was easier than
windows. No drivers to mess about with.

With all this in mind will you be using live CD's on the day, and will
you have different versions or are you going for gnu as was mentioned
earlier? What date are you planning to hold this event because if I'm
not working I would love to pop in.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Sharon