[Wiltshire] Just a simple intro

daveg at boavon.plus.com daveg at boavon.plus.com
Wed Mar 11 21:54:21 UTC 2009

Been a lurking member for a couple of weeks or so now.  At one time I
thought the amount of silence indicated an inactive group.
I am new to Linux and using UBUNTU 8.10 but did use KUBUNTU also.  Being a
northern tight wad, with a healthy amount of techy scepticism and not
liking too much innovation, my experiences have been very slow and taking
great care.  I'm mucking about with oldish, cheapish laptops and leaving
the houshold min stayers alone - so far.
My experience stretches to a one-time HP-UX systems administrator, UNIPLEX
administrator and old INFORMIX programmer.  Being stuck in management for
some time - but now wishing to return to more creative stuff - at least as
as a pure hobby.
Now pleased to see that Wilts LUG is quite active.  Living in the farest
west and north part of West Wilts makes Swindon a bit difficult for me -
basically too lazy and once again too tight!
having said that I'm keen to help, contribute and volunteer in any way I can.
Sad to say, I'm a little unclear from the contibutors exactly what your
library event is hoping to achieve.  I'm sure the contributors know
exactly what they are doing - but newbies on here will find it all sounds
a little exclusive.
Re CDs and distros.  I agree that future publishing should be able to help
with some freebie CDs - if not mags.  If the aim is try and convince
people to dip their toes in the water, then in my view you cannot beat
live CDs and a full demo.  May sound silly - but fanning out three
virginish laptops running perhaps a varied amount of windows versions, or
nothing at all, then fanning out a number of varied distros and then
demoing a live cd boot and perhaps install would speak volumes.  Would be
good to video on the night/dsay also.  Promised article for future
publishing would be good also.
I'll stop for now, and having finally surfaced hope to post a bit more
often.  Am also a member of ubuntu mailing list which seems a bit more
busy.
DaveG