[Wiltshire] Is firewall working?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Oct 28 21:10:53 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 Oct 2009, Lugo Teehalt wrote:
> Have just signed on to virginmedia broadband.  Have put in the wireless
router myself and switched off wireless - at least the 'radio beakon' icon on
the front has gone out.

> The router manufactures say: 'By default, the firewall allows any outbound
traffic and prohibits any inbound traffic except for

> But cannot work out if the firewall is switched on.  Though it seems likely
it is on by default.

> Anybody know how to check if it is switched on?

In order to "open a port" on the router "firewall" you have to set up
something called Port Forwarding. On my router (a Belkin) this is
called "virtual servers". There is a table where you can specify a service
type or port number (e.g. 995 is POP over SSL) to be forwarded to a host
(computer) on your internal network. To do this the host you are forwarding
the port to will need to have a fixed IP address.

If you want to set up a PC in your house to work as a web server accessible
from outside, you will need to forward port 80 to that machine.

By default, the table should be all blank. So until you touch it, no data
packets from outside can ever get inside because you've not told the router
where to send them.

Does that clarify things at all?

BTW you should have your wireless protocol set to WPA2, and set a strong
password. Then you should be safe.

Dave

--

Registered Linux user number 393408