[Wiltshire] Wiltshire Digest, Vol 97, Issue 4 (swindon meetings).

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Jan 11 23:49:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 22:50 +0000, Robert Bronsdon wrote:

> However, to play devils advocate. While Dell were selling Ubuntu PCs,
> their claim was the support costs (to Dell) soared because people did not
> understand they were buying something "not windows". Reports "on the
> internet" from Asus with the EEE were the same.
Yes I am aware of this. Trouble is, the only way anything good is ever
going to be able to happen is through customer choice.

If only people were educated to the extent that they have been dumbed
down during recent years the world would be a very different place I
think.

> I'll place money on "most" dell customers wouldn't know what they were
> buying if you gave them the option of "non-windows". They'd still complain
> their computers didn't work. They'll complain Linux doesn't work (because
> they wont adapt the habits from what they're used too with Windows) unless
> they actively know its Linux and they are doing something different. Then
> most people will offset the £50 against learning something new. They'll
> just pay for what they have and get on with it.
I saw an old Dell P4 PC yesterday evening, that's got so little
installed RAM that it's barely able to boot up and run XP. Tea was
brewed and part way consumed before the mouse started working. I'd sure
as hell complain if I'd paid good money for that.

Dave