[Wiltshire] [Fwd: Hi all In the next week, we hold ...]

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Jan 28 11:15:03 UTC 2011

Sharon wrote:

> Looks like the O.U. are thinking of doing a follow on course from there T155 Course an Introduction to Linux, which was a 10 week course.
> See ... almost main stream

While normally this kind of announcement pleases me, today I am a
"glass half empty" guy.

Various flavours of Unix(*) have been standard fare in Higher
Education CS teaching and research for decades.

What is disappointing about this announcement is
(a) the OU offering vocational training (I understand it offers CCNP
as well!) - though it makes sense to offer LPI topics to grad students
who may need to build and administer networks in labs, it doesn't seem
suitable to offer degree credit for it
(b) _further_ education colleges like Wiltshire College and Swindon
College _do not_ yet offer vocational Linux training, not to mention
secondary schools

I must be very old fashioned.

BTW the forumng link is not accessible to self-registered OU forum users

David

(*) SunOS and other BSDs were popular a few years ago; latterly
Solaris and Linux