[Wiltshire] BIOS flashy thing.

Simon Iremonger (wiltslug) wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Sat Sep 17 12:40:50 UTC 2011

> My computer is totaled.  The BIOS is corrupt, though may be other
> problems too.

> Just wondering if anyone could flash the BIOS if I posted them the
> chip and a CD of the stuff for the BIOS?  In return .... name it.

> Asus M2N-SLI mother board it is too damaged for the sort of auto
> flash thing to work.

If a bios flash really is corrupt and it is actually in a socket,
  (so can be removed easily-enough) then these things can be done.

Another motherboard with same type of socket and tools like
  UNIFLASH, can do the job... You have to have the original
  bios in loosely (which is actually decompressed into ram
  when the system is going), and then hot-swap to the other
  bios chip... and flash that...

I've also had cases with AWDFLASH where you needed to make it
  get to a certain point in the process where it was 'ready'
  having checked the disk seems to have the right file and
  so-on, and then  Swap-over the floppy-disk before pressing
  the "y" button so it actually flashes a different image,
  which you actually wanted.  I think I did that once to flash
  a SCSI card BIOS onto a PC-bios flash-chip or so ;-).

Also, external programmers can work.  I have used a WILLEM
  parallel-port-programmer once before.

But..
I think you ought to explain more of the whole-story ;-).
WHAT happened?  Why do you think the BIOS is actually corrupt?
What led you to that point?  What do you mean 'too damaged' etc.

--Simon