[Wiltshire] BIOS flashy thing.

Lugo Teehalt lugoteehalt at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 08:14:10 UTC 2011

--- On Sat, 17/9/11, Simon Iremonger (wiltslug) <wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk> wrote:

> From: Simon Iremonger (wiltslug) <wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Wiltshire] BIOS flashy thing.
> To: wiltshire at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Date: Saturday, 17 September, 2011, 13:40
> > My computer is totaled.
> The BIOS is corrupt, though may be other
> > problems too.
>
> > Just wondering if anyone could flash the BIOS if I
> posted them the
> > chip and a CD of the stuff for the BIOS?  In
> return .... name it.
>
> > Asus M2N-SLI mother board it is too damaged for the
> sort of auto
> > flash thing to work.
>

> If a bios flash really is corrupt and it is actually in a
> socket,
>   (so can be removed easily-enough) then these things
> can be done.
>
> Another motherboard with same type of socket and tools
> like
>   UNIFLASH, can do the job... You have to have the
> original
>   bios in loosely (which is actually decompressed into
> ram
>   when the system is going), and then hot-swap to the
> other
>   bios chip... and flash that...
>
> I've also had cases with AWDFLASH where you needed to make
> it
>   get to a certain point in the process where it was
> 'ready'
>   having checked the disk seems to have the right file
> and
>   so-on, and then  Swap-over the floppy-disk
> before pressing
>   the "y" button so it actually flashes a different
> image,
>   which you actually wanted.  I think I did that
> once to flash
>   a SCSI card BIOS onto a PC-bios flash-chip or so
> ;-).
>
> Also, external programmers can work.  I have used a
> WILLEM
>   parallel-port-programmer once before.
>

> But..
> I think you ought to explain more of the whole-story ;-).
> WHAT happened?  Why do you think the BIOS is actually
> corrupt?
> What led you to that point?  What do you mean 'too
> damaged' etc.
>
> --Simon

Thanks Simon,

Computer:  4G RAM; 250G hd + 500G hd; psu 350wats max; nVidia gforce gt430 graphics card; TV card; DVD read/write drive.

It was unused for several months.  Put in new graphics card.  Would not boot - nothing to monitor.

Tried it a lot of times, on 4 occasions something happened.  Once got a message saying BIOS corrupt;  booted up normally twice (when I hard rebooted)  left it on second time and it went down after a few hours; once gave BIOS setup, did not take opportunity to flash bios - generally have had some sort of death wish with it.

Tried removing RAM and putting one in; unplugging things, that sort of stuff.  Tried switching it on with CD with bios on it in which, I think, should allow it to repair bios.

No beeps because no loudspeaker.

Lights and fans all work.

Do not know much about this sort of stuff, although have learnt a bit recently.  Thanks for reply.

Regards.