[Wiltshire] Request for help - Ubuntu 14.04

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 16:32:23 UTC 2014

Hi Derek,

John wrote:
>    - Lubuntu (Ubuntu remix with the LXDE desktop)
>    - Xubuntu (Ubuntu remix with the XFCE desktop)

You should be able to update your Ubuntu to have these as an option by
installing their packages, lubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop.  Or just
one if you're low on disk space.  I think there will then be an option
on the login screen of which desktop to use.

You've a 64-bit CPU;  did you install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu?
`uname -m' should show `x86_64'.

As for Simon's VirtualBox suggestion;  you might need to check your CPU
supports virtualisation in hardware, else it will be very slow AIUI.

Cheers, Ralph.