[Wiltshire] Nice hardware offer

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed May 22 19:39:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-05-22 at 19:56 +0100, Sam R. via Wiltshire wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I've dug out the PSU. I pulled it from a working machine that had
> developed a "stutter"; a new PSU fixed the problem so as far as I'm
> concerned it's dead.
>
> It has a 4 pin 12v supply. There are some PCIE plugs with 2 pins but
> they're both ground. I'm not sure if you'd be able to do anything
> with
> it? It's yours if you want it?

No thanks, I've got one of the 4 pin plugs that somebody gave me last
time around.

I need to order some parts for something else from CPC/Farnell some
time so I can order the proper part then.

> At that power draw it's between 264 and 288 Watts.

Ah, no, that's not mains current going into the power supply, it's the
12V DC current coming out at 1.2A so it's more like 15W.

>  I'm running a Gen
>> HP microserver with 4x4TB WD Red drives and an Intel(R) Celeron(R)
> CPU
> G1610T @ 2.30GHz and getting 80w idle (according to my UPS). I've
> actually never tried stressing it. It's only a dual core so I
> imagine
> your CPU has a bit more poke to it! Mine's just a file server and
> runs
> some very small VMs for my mail and web server.
>
> Any plans for yours long term?

Just replacing the 32 bit board with a more up to date 64 bit unit
before support vanishes and leaves me exposed.

I run no VMs on it, just email, file, print, scan, boinc in its spare
time and anything else I can think of. At the moment it's rsync-ing all
my music, photos and video from the current server to the new hard
drive.

Dave