[Wiltshire] Any Arduino serial comms experts out there?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Feb 19 18:39:34 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-02-19 at 17:56 +0000, Robert Longbottom via Wiltshire
wrote:
> Some of the more recent UNOs (and maybe other Arduinos) reset when
> you
> connect to the serial port and I think maybe they reset when you
> disconnect as well.  It looks like the C program is closing the
> serial
> port when it exits, which will probably be resetting the Arduino and
> so
> it will briefly blink one of the LEDs and go back to the start state
> with the LED off.
>
> I've never tried to disable this behaviour, but it looks like it's
> possible.  A few links that google threw up:

Hi Robert,

It's great that the good old traditional engineering solutions still
work - "Just stick a capacitor across the f'ing thing!". In this case
the 100nF ceramic from RESET to GND appears to do the job. I can now
turn the LED on and off at will from the desktop keyboard with the
workbench completely shut down.

I've not yet tried uploading a new sketch with the capacitor in place,
maybe later.

Thanks for the quick reply.

BTW I'm using one of the £5 UNOs from eBay.

Dave