[Wiltshire] Any Arduino serial comms experts out there?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Feb 19 22:25:06 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-02-19 at 17:56 +0000, Robert Longbottom via Wiltshire
wrote:
> Some of the more recent UNOs (and maybe other Arduinos) reset when
> you
> connect to the serial port and I think maybe they reset when you
> disconnect as well.  It looks like the C program is closing the
> serial
> port when it exits,

This is a little personal interest hobby project, to do a four terminal
measurement of a Pt100 sensor hanging outside the back of my house
where the sun can never shine on it, every 15 minutes as a cron task on
a server. The C program starts up, gets some numbers from the arduino,
does the maths, writes a file and terminates.

At the moment I have it working with an Ethernet shield which I don't
like very much hence I'm having a go at making it work with the USB
connection instead.

After that, try to rework the analogue electronics to use an
instrumentation amplifier to improve the measurement resolution.

> This one suggests setting the flow control to None on the serial port
> may work (you might already be doing this in your C program, but I'm
> not
> familiar enough with C and serial ports to be sure):

Looks like the C program code is intending to switch off all the
control functions but it's evidently not enough to prevent the reset. I
can easily enough plug the capacitor into the top header when in use.
It prevents loading a new sketch into the Arduino.

Dave