[Wiltshire] Suspect hard drive infant mortality

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun May 30 09:59:05 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-05-30 at 08:13 +0100, Ralph Corderoy via Wiltshire wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> > Then I found out about a certain config file....
> >     /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/50_linuxmint.conf
> > the content of which on both computers is now:-
> >
> >     # To override these values, create your own file in
> >     /etc/systemd/systemd.conf.d/60_custom.conf.
> > I've not done the instruction at the top to override the 10s by
> > adding
> > my own config file. Perhaps I should.
>
> Yes as otherwise a package update to
> /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/50_linuxmint.conf probably won't apply
> when
> it notices the content isn't the old content it expects to replace.

Except, it doesn't seem to work. Messing around on the laptop just now
I found that putting the 60_custom.conf in the same directory
as 50_linuxmint.conf which I thought perfectly reasonable makes no
difference. Also doing the "sudo systemctl daemon-reload"
and "systemctl show" appears to change something that the system
actually calls DefaultTimeoutStopUSec, notice the 'U' character has
crept in. Seems strange.

Tried changing 60_custom.conf to 40_custom.conf. Makes no difference.

Then noticed that in 50_linuxmint.conf the override file directory is
/etc/systemd/systemd.conf.d/
which does not exist! 50_linuxmint.conf is actually in
/etc/systemd/system.conf.d/ notice the missing 'd'!

So tried
sudo mkdir /etc/systemd/systemd.conf.d
and putting the override file in there. Again it makes no difference.

Anybody know how to make this work? I've heard it said many times that
systemd is a mess. So far I don't disagree.

Dave