[Wiltshire] Suspect hard drive infant mortality

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun May 30 10:14:17 UTC 2021

Hi Dave,

> > > Then I found out about a certain config file....
> > >     /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/50_linuxmint.conf
> > > the content of which on both computers is now:-
> > >
> > >     # To override these values, create your own file in
> > >     /etc/systemd/systemd.conf.d/60_custom.conf.
> Except, it doesn't seem to work. Messing around on the laptop just now
> I found that putting the 60_custom.conf in the same directory as
> 50_linuxmint.conf which I thought perfectly reasonable makes no
> difference.
>
> Also doing the "sudo systemctl daemon-reload" and "systemctl show"
> appears to change something that the system actually calls
> DefaultTimeoutStopUSec, notice the 'U' character has crept in. Seems
> strange.

Try ‘systemctl daemon-reexec’ or rebooting to see what makes systemd
notice the change.

> Tried changing 60_custom.conf to 40_custom.conf. Makes no difference.

No, that would mean your value is trampled by theirs.

> Then noticed that in 50_linuxmint.conf the override file directory is
> /etc/systemd/systemd.conf.d/ which does not exist! 50_linuxmint.conf
> is actually in /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/ notice the missing 'd'!

I think that's a typo by them.  See systemd-system.conf(5) for the
locations used and the definition of ‘DefaultTimeout..’.  I'd expect it
to be /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/60_custom.conf as per the fine manual.

> Anybody know how to make this work? I've heard it said many times that
> systemd is a mess. So far I don't disagree.

It's on a par with PulseAudio.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.