[Wiltshire] Any ISP recommendations please?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Oct 24 16:26:16 UTC 2021

I think I'm just about done with virgin. The WiFi on the router has
been dropping frequently for ages. They've sent a "hub 4" router.
Whilst configuring it this morning I found that it refuses to forward
port 25 with some error message about it being reserved. Consequently
I'm not plugging it into my cable and registering it otherwise my email
will cease to function. I've been looking for a solution using port 587
instead but either I can't get the server to receive it or something
elsewhere is trying to use port 25 only so when the techie visits
tomorrow I'm probably just going to tell them to shove it all.

Does anybody have recommendations? I could get BT to reconnect the
copper phone line which would probably be simplest way or apparently
there is now fibre to the home available in my road. Or I could just
cut the cord altogether and get a 4G router although that would
probably not be so good when I want to use netflix etc.

It's been a long time since I had to worry about which ISP so any
advice or suggestions will be valued.

Thanks

Dave