[Wiltshire] Any ISP recommendations please?

Pete Houston ph1 at openstrike.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 12:45:44 UTC 2021

Hi Ralph,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 11:54:04AM +0100, Ralph Corderoy via Wiltshire wrote:
> They sound like the BitFolk of ISPs.  :-)

That's fair, although I'd say they are a bit bigger in terms of scale
(from outside looking in - I am a customer of both).

> I do think they suffer from not having a typical ‘bundle’ page for a
> customer who's currently with Virgin ADSL, say, with a single
> copper-pair wire providing phone and Internet who wants to switch to
> AA's VDSL and port the landline phone number to VoIP so there's no voice
> going over the copper pair any more.  (I'm aware there is some audio
> signal for a quiet-line test, etc.)  It means there are many pages to
> keep clicking through for overviews on topics and then detail pages,
> with the projected cost having to be totted up by hand.

Also fair. However they do have their sales number plastered all over
their site and if you call it you should find:

	1. It gets answered by a real person in a few rings.

	2. That real person despite being in the sales team is technically
	astute.

	3. They will be happy to explain the jargon and if you give them
	your set-up details or requirements can suggest which package(s)
	would be right for you.

... at least that has been my experience. When we moved from ADSL to
VDSL some years back the BT engineer hadn't connected us up properly. I
was able to call A&A and hand the phone to the BT guy and A&A talked him
through what he had done wrong and what he needed to do to fix it.
That's the extra level of service you are paying for.

FWIW, switching ISPs and moving from landline phone to VoIP are
essentially independent operations. While you could do them both at
once it might be more prudent not to. I would sort the VoIP first and
only once that is complete and working well then move on to the ISP
switch. YMMV of course.

Pete
https://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036