[Wolves] Chicken-and-egg situation regarding HPT372 RAID controller

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Oct 7 12:07:02 2002

Dan spoo'd forth:
> The problem is when I come to try and boot the base system.  LILO comes up
> fine, and the first part of the boot sequence starts - but the system
> freezes
> through not being able to mount the root filesystem.  It would appear that
> the kernel recognises the RAID controller as HPT370, the driver for
> which can
> only do RAID 0.  Is there any way make the hpt37x2 module live in the
> kernel?
>  The problem is that it isn't a standard part of the kernel source tree
> AFAIK.  I have NO IDEA how to do this.  HELP!

Can you not have your root filesystem not be on the RAID? That way you
wouldn't need RAID support that early, and when you've got a root
filesystem you can then insert the module and mount all the other
filesystems off the RAID...

Aq.

--
Your whole life flashed before your eyes? Cup of tea, cup of tea,
almost got shagged, cup of tea...