[Wolves] Chicken-and-egg situation regarding HPT372 RAID controller

wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 11 15:02:01 2002

>> The only problem now is, though, that the thing
>sticks at the partition
>> check.  Because it can still see hde-h, it tries
>(and fails) to check the
>> partitions on hde.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.
>
>Look in linux/Documentation/ide.txt and
>linux-2.4.19/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>for options to make the
>kernel ignore the device.  "hde=noprobe" or
>"hde=none" look promising
>after a quick glance.

Damn.  I've already done it the Hard Way(tm).  I did look on the net for clues on boot parameters, but like the Mister Magoo I am I guess I must have missed those.

I eventually actually edited ide-pci.c and removed all references to HPT366 or 34X.  (in my defence, the Highpoint directions on their site say to do something like that, except doing it their way causes the module to have errors during compilation...)

I did do the initrd thing the easy way though - it turns out the Debian kernels now use initrd anyways so all I had to do was install one and then use mkinitrd.  :)

Yay!  A now working server with RAID 10! :)

::does a little dance::

Thanks

Dan