[Wolves] Wolves LUG Open Evening / Charities

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 16 02:43:01 2002

Hi folks,

I just had an idea. I have just been scurrying around
the internet looking for information on getting Linux
into charities for apossible report I am writing.

As I was searching around the net, I thought it may be
wise for us to provide an open evening in which
interested charities, local businesses, schools and
such could come along (to the Clarenden?) and see what
Linux is all about.

I am sure we could get some free advertising in
newspapers and such to promote the evening and it may
be worthwhile for usto do this so we can get Linux
used more in the local area.

I was just looking for example on the charities
commission website, and I saw the charitity shown here
for example:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?remchar=&chyno=1072056

Now, check the financtial records on the page. The
sickeningly gross income (pun intended) for 2001 was
£9,875. I would like to guess as what level of IT they
are using at this charity; one or two machines running
Windows I guess. This is an ideal candidate for Linux.
Admittidly, there is the factor of training the staff
to use Linux which is indeed an issue. My thoughts
though are that at Linux's current level and usability
level, I am sure there are some charities that we
could get Linux into.

Thoughts?

    Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] - jonoATkdeDOTorg
KDE Developer - Diary: http://www.advogato.org/person/jono/