[Wolves] Wireless Networking

Wayne Morris wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 13:09:01 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 12:56 pm, you wrote:
> > Talking of wireless networking, I've seen range of 100m quoted, is this
> > standard for all makes of equipment?
> > And is this a absolute maximum, or is in practice is the range much
> > greater and the 100m just a 'guaranteed' to cover themselves?
> > What about the building materials that the signal has to pass thru?
> >

> > I'm getting 1Mb broadband in 10 days, and I have a friend who lives 120m
> > from me who I could sell bandwidth to - but I don't want to buy the
> > hardware if it is unlikely to work that far.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Wayne
>
> This should definately be feasable without additional kit, esp if you have
> line of sight. If not - a cheap omnidirectional antenna 10-20 quid from
> solwise.co.uk iirc and you're away.
>
> Matthew

Excellent, could be a good investment - £40 per month for broadband, I could
be in profit with 4 subscribers at £13.99 per month (broadband for freeserve
prices!)
There is at least one other internet user within a few house of me, must
start meeting the neighbours!

Mmm, just thought of a danger in this sort of network - what if one of your
subscribers/friends was to download 'dubious material'; any logs at the
provider would reflect you as the recipient - so I guess saving of logfiles
would be essential - if there is a logfile for info gatewayed thru your
machine.?
Then you would have to prove the IP address was the other person.
There could be some interesting cases if this sort of this takes off.

Wayne