[Wolves] A2RT Networked Computers

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 04:29:01 2003

Jono Bacon spoo'd forth:
> It struck me today that there is a big Debian
> following in the LUG, and hence a pretty impressive
> batch of knowledge about Debian. It also struck me
> that Debian is a networked distro in that it updates
> via apt so package updates are pretty simple to
> invoke.
>
> What I was thinking was how hard would it be to
> develop an A2RT OS that runs on Debian. Now, I dont
> mean building our own distro, but surely it would be
> possible to create a list of packages a default debian
> install should install on the system, and then we
> could put some documentation, settings and other stuff
> relevent to A2RT in another debian package that sets
> up the machine ready for use. This would mean as soon
> as Steve and Vinny get a machine, they just need to
> install Debian, update their apt sources and the fully
> A2RTised debian will be installed and set up. This
> would give us a project to work on that can involve
> lots of stuff such as documentation and wotnot and
> helps a worthy project out.

I think that it's a rootin' tootin' good idea, with the single
exception that I'd base it on Knoppix (which is based on Debian).
That way, we get to take advantage of the magic Knoppix installer,
which detects everything. If we took all the latest KDE stuff out
of Knoppix (a2rt machines probably aren't capable of running it!)
then there'd be plenty of room, and there are specific docs about
how to master your own adapted Knoppix-based CD.

Aq.

--
"Woe, for I am judged again, this time as a total bimbo."
           -- Buffy in Greek tragedic style