[Wolves] A2RT Networked Computers

Si Griffiths wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 09:46:01 2003

On Friday 18 Apr 2003 1:36 am, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just had an idea that I think would be of primary
> interest to Steve and Vinny, but would also be worthy
> of comment from the LUG faithfull. :D
>
> Last night in a loud club and many in a drunken state,
> the merits of A2RT were being heralded by a number of
> LUGites, and it seems that we would all like to help
> as much as possible.

very much appreciated

> It struck me today that there is a big Debian
> following in the LUG, and hence a pretty impressive
> batch of knowledge about Debian. It also struck me
> that Debian is a networked distro in that it updates
> via apt so package updates are pretty simple to
> invoke.
>
> What I was thinking was how hard would it be to
> develop an A2RT OS that runs on Debian. Now, I dont
> mean building our own distro, but surely it would be
> possible to create a list of packages a default debian
> install should install on the system, and then we
> could put some documentation, settings and other stuff
> relevent to A2RT in another debian package that sets
> up the machine ready for use. This would mean as soon
> as Steve and Vinny get a machine, they just need to
> install Debian, update their apt sources and the fully
> A2RTised debian will be installed and set up. This
> would give us a project to work on that can involve
> lots of stuff such as documentation and wotnot and
> helps a worthy project out.

this sounds like a wicked project! As i think Steve may have mentioned=20
FreeGeek in Portland have their own stripped down distro which they insta=
ll=20
through a network - for them this seems to work quite well & its a nice=20
little touch.=20

For us i think a A2RT OS would be a really sound & useful thing to develo=
p -=20
it would obviously save loads of time and effort, while also being amazin=
gly=20
cool at the same time.=20

What with all the ancient hardware and peripherals that we often get i al=
so=20
think Aq's idea to take advantage of the Knoppix installer could well be=20
worthwhile

so yeah top dollar Jono :D - me & steve are gonna make a concerted effort=
 to=20
attend the next lug meetin - so perhaps if everyone else is up for it - i=
f we=20
have a think about what it would involve & the best way to go about it et=
c=20
etc - then we can discuss it at the next meeting?

nice one

laters

Vinnie