[Wolves] Non programmer needs some directions

Lee Jordan wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 18:00:01 2003

Hey Phill,

Shamefully I'm in Windows at the moment, well it booted before I had chance
to push the button on Lilo .........

You probaly need to make sure that USB works fine on your linux system and
that your USB pen is compatible, search on google for compatibility lists,
it should be ok if you are using an uptodate SuSE.

I'd assume that the file "hwconf" has some sort of information that tells
you how to get to your USB device.  if you want to read the file you'll have
to load it into a text editor, like vi or jed. type in "cat
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf" to a prompt and you should see the file displayed,
cat is an easy way of looking at a small file, if it goes of the screen type
"cat /etc/sysconfig/hwconf | more" instead (without the quotes.

Each drive in Linux has a mount point which is basically just a directory in
a special folder called /mnt, you would need to edit a file called fstab (vi
/etc/fstab/) and tell linux where to look for your USB pen in this case you
would have to point it to /mnt/usbHD. But also devices in linux have a place
in the /dev folder, a hard drive would be in /dev/hda1 my USB zip drive is
on /dev/sda4 fstab links the /dev/hd* or fd* or sd* files to the file system
in /mnt. In theroy you would then go to /mnt/usbHD to get your files once
everything is linked up.

If you want to test things out first here's what I would do assuming that
the usbHD is in at /dev/sda4:

cd /mnt/
mkdir usbHD

mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/usbHD

"mount --help" may offer you some options or you could always try tying in
"man mount", but I would sugesst a search on google for your pen + linux
that way you'll get down to speficics. That's the basics of getting a
filesystem linked up, I'm not sure if SusE has some way of auto dectecting
this, maybe through a configuration program called Yast? anyone else know?

Something you may want to look into is hotplugging, (that's what happens in
windows) allowing you do remove and plug in a usb device, I tried to get my
Mp3 Player hooked up and it wouldn't go, so don't take my word that all this
will work.

Lee Jordan
Interactive Multimedia Communications
http://www.wlv.ac.uk/~f9913820