[Wolves] Nag nag (was: Need some help!)

trog wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 17:08:01 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 10:29 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Adam Sweet wrote:
> > All the same, back up your important stuff before doing anything just in
> > case.
>
> This is, of course, a good general tip for everyone.  All disks fail
> sooner or later.  If you create any any data you couldn't bear loosing,
> email it to a friend or write it to a CD on a regular basis.

Do not have faith that the backup you have just written is going to be
readable.  Immediately after taking the backup, read it back and ensure
the data has really been scribbled to your backup media.  DO NOT rely
on a zero return code from your backup command.  I have seen several
occurances when a tape drive has failed to write to the tape but has
"forgotten" to inform the o/s of this fact.  I haven't seen it (yet) on CD
drives, but I guess it could happen.

Also store you backups offsite.  Take them to work and leave them in
your drawer, or take them to a friends place.
--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)