[Wolves] KMail

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 13:22:02 2003

Si spoo'd forth:
> Right, with the uncomfortable personal intro out of the way, I can move onto
> the subject of my message. I have already posted this message onto the Forum
> on the website but I have now learned that this is rarely used - so it is
> possible that some (or indeed all!) may have read it. I have 3 computers : a
> firewall/router, and two 'clients' on a LAN. Each computer is running
> Mandrake 9.  Each client has K-Mail on it, to access my POP3 account. I wish
> both clients to access the same e-mails and therefore I have disabled the
> "delete from server when read" option. However, I am told that my POP3
> account will fill up quite quickly. Does anybody know how to explicitly
> delete mail from a server? (I have tried Evolution as well but this did not
> appear to provide a facility).

I can think of a few solutions, ranging from "telnet mailserver 110"
and then using the "DELE" command upwards. I think, however, that you
might be approaching this the wrong way. What you might want to think
about doing is making one of your internal machines a mailserver and
IMAP server. IMAP is designed for accessing mail that's on the server
and then organising it, as opposed to POP3 which is basically a dump
bin from which you are supposed to download your mail and do something
with it on the client side. If you made one machine an IMAP server, and
fetched the mail from your remote POP server (with something like
fetchmail) into that IMAP server, you could then point both KMails at
that IMAP server and Bob's your uncle. This is probably a more complex
solution than you had in mind!

Your other alternative, if you *know* that your only "delete action"
will be to delete *all* the mail i your remote POP account, is to have
another mail client around somewhere and tell that to download your
mail too, but *not* to leave it on the server. That way, when you want
to delete all mails, you just fetch all mails with the other mail
client.

Another thought: does your POP mail provider also provide webmail
access to the account?

Aq.

--
Abusus non tollit usum
(The threat of potential abuse shouldn't be an argument against any use)