[Wolves] Problems with smoothwall adventures

Ron Wellsted wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 24 21:43:02 2003

On Monday 24 Feb 2003 1:58 pm, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OK, I went shopping at a computer fair and brought
> back a spanky machine to use as my web server, thus
> relieving my battered machine for the firewall.
>
> I created the boot floppies and managed to install
> smoothwall fine, but I am experiencing some trouble
> getting the machine on the net. Let me explain:
>
> I had two cards in there - that are the same model.
> Smoothwall says in the installation that you may need
> to pass it extra parameters to get it working, but I
> dont know what these parameters are. Anyone know?
>
> Anyway, I started installation and it asked for me to
> configure the GREEN card. I understand that this is
> the card that plugs into the hub, so I probed and it
> found it ok. I set it the IP of 192.168.0.1.
>
> After installation I went to networking setup and
> chose to use GREEN + RED. It probed for the RED card
> and cha-ching it was there as the same driver. I then
> configured it to use DHCP as the means of getting the
> IP.
>
> Anywho, I rebooted and when I am back on, I cant ping
> a site. I did set the DNS nameservers to my telewest
> ones, and I had no idea what to set the gateway to as
> I didnt know what IP the RED card has.
>
> What was strange was when I logged into the box and
> did 'ifconfig', only eth0 came up with it's IP address
> correctly assigned (the GREEN card), but eth1 was not
> there, and when I did 'ifconfig eth1 up' it gave me an
> error. A quick look at dmesg came up with some errors
> indicating some kind of interuppt conflict. Both cards
> are PCI so I thought this was a little unusual.
>
> Anyway, I tried the setup with an old 3Com ISA card
> which was detected fine but still would'nt come up
> when it was the RED card, and I tried a couple of
> other cards but they were not detected.
>
> I have had the two same model cards working fine in
> the box, but for some reason this isnt working, and it
> seems that I cant choose which card is GREEN and which
> is RED.

With BY, the MAC address of the network card must be registered with their
servers.  Check that the RED card is the one that you were using previously
to access the BY cable modem.  This sounds like the problem as an unregisted
card will not be give a DHCP lease so will give and error on the 'ifconfig
eth1 up' command.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk