[Wolves] My Beowulf Project is now on line ;)

Chris Procter wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 25 17:54:01 2003

>>10.13 am Restate my assumptions,
>>1. mathematics is the language of nature
>>2. everything around us can be represented and understood by numbers
>>3. therefore there are patterns everywhere in nature.
>>

>well remembered! if anyones interested i've got the book, which has a
excellent
>diary of the whole project.

I used to have this written out and pinned to my wall, I was analysing rain
rate data at the time (dont ask, but its a good job I don't own a power
drill...) so it seemed very appropriate.

Anyway, according to Danny Hillis (designer of the Connection Machine with
65,536 processors, writer of "The Pattern on the Stone") pretty much
everything is parallelisable, also Stephen Wolframs theory in "A New Kind Of
Science" has a similar basis (hmm both are based on cellular automatia and
the Game Of Life) you just have to look at the problem from the right angle
so think of a fun task and factor it for parrallel execution. If you build a
beowulf cluster they will come.

chris