[Wolves] old cd drive error reading cd question

Adam Sweet wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 12 19:58:00 2003

 --- Steve <info@a2rt.org> wrote: > i was wondering if
its likely that old CD cd drives
> have problems reading certain cds? i.e ones with
> long filenames,
> 700MB capacities and so on?

It's worth considering that some older drives really
don't like CD-Rs at all. I have one that just
struggles and hangs on copied disks, but is otherwise
fine. This may be similar to what Sparkes was
referring to.

The other thing is that CDROMs are often considered
faulty and are replaced when it is simply a case of
the optical lens being dirty. I had one that caused
file all sorts of 'Cannot find file' errors, but which
another drive found no problem.

CDROM cleaners that you buy in the shops are
relatively useless for such tasks. You will need a
cotton wool bud and some white spirit, and possibly
some water on another one if some of the residue is
sugary. There is plenty of stuff on the net via Google
if this is your problem.

Good luck ;)

Ad

=====