[Wolves] Bloke vs. Bloke: graphics engines: some initial thoughts

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 14:11:01 2003

Jono Bacon spoo'd forth:
> If I were you guys I would use OGRE. OGRE seems the
> most capable game engine out there and although
> written initially for Windows, I think the Linux port
> is workable now. :D Stay away from CrystalSpace it
> looks shite.

Ogre is the one I'm looking at. I wanted to study CS as well, because I
don't want to just pick Ogre because there are Python bindings, as I
might not look all that objective. Ogre is, however, a long and complex
thing to build. I got it built last night, but I so far have not been
able to get the Python interface to build (not that it *fails* to
build, it just doesn't do it at all). i wish someone had packaged it
for Debian. CS, on the other hand, is Debian-packaged, but it's broken
in unstable (because libvorbis0 is broken).

> The other option is one that could be infinitely
> easier and more enjoyable - use the Blender game
> engine. Blender has a fully developed, scriptable (in
> Python) game engine where you can knock out pretty
> functional games in no time.

I didn't know about this at all. Something else to investigate, then :)

Aq.

--
Now get up and take a rip off my magic bong so that we can show
you the meaning of Xmas!