[Wolves] Bloke vs. Bloke: graphics engines: some initial thoughts

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 29 07:57:00 2003

Jono Bacon spoo'd forth:
>> SDl will give us graphics and sound, but we'd have
>> to do all the work
>> of writing the *game*. The plan with using an engine
>> was that there
>> would be structures in place specifically for game
>> writing -- actor
>> objects, collison detection, inventory, multiplayer
>> network code, etc
>> etc.
>
> If I were you guys I would use OGRE. OGRE seems the
> most capable game engine out there and although
> written initially for Windows, I think the Linux port
> is workable now. :D Stay away from CrystalSpace it
> looks shite.

The Python bindings don't compile, as far as I can tell; they're very
new. The Ogre forums confirm this
(http://ogre.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1140). It also
doesn't seem to have any bindings other than Python (not that *I* mind,
but others might ;)) CrystalSpace is still uninstallable on Debian. I
am bored waiting for Ogre. Anyone got any other suggestions? :)

Pete, how did your examination of the old Spy vs Spy go?

Aq.

--
Java sucks. [...] Java on TV set top boxes will suck so hard it
might well inhale people from off  their sofa until their heads