[Wolves] Freegeek visit

Steve wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 26 16:21:00 2003

hi all

Si and myself just got back from Portland USA where we went on a half camping , half fact finding mission for A2RT! We visited
http://www.freegeek.org who are a great bunch of people. They recycle computers for community use, and also train peeps on how to build computers.
They have a scheme called Adopt a computer where volunteers who work 24 hours (not all at once ;-) get a computer (called a Freekbox ) They're fairly
low spec, but are good for general use.

They've created a modified version of debian, and once the boxes are built the OS is installed via  the network, which is pretty cool. While we were
there we tried out Freeduc, http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/ , a modified Deb/Knoppix live cd that we got with Linux Format , and everyone thought it
was very interesting. Its aimed for education/schools, and uses XFCE as a window manager. It comes with loads of cool tools, 3D, Cad, audio editing,
and a funky little vector app called SodiPodi http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/  which worked a treat. I can see it filling a big design tool gap in linux.

We also met a chap, steev hine who was involved in the 'Illegal Art' exhibition who is doing good things in regards to copyright and IP -
http://detritus.net/rhizome/news.html

anyway, hope everyone well

steve