[Wolves] Promoting Linux

fizzy wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 9 13:36:01 2003

>> If you're interested in US governments taken bungs
>> from corporations, read Michael Moore's Stupid
>> White Men.
>plus Michaels other great books and dvd's, anything
>by naomi klien, noam chomsky, george monbiot, etc.
>until you all get a clue :-) funny how the last time
>the conversation went this way was after a session
>listening to RATM and today is no different.

I will happily burn anyone a copy of any/all of the
three Michael Moore films, or lend out copies of
stupid white men, captive state, fast food nation, no
logo or any other of the many extremist left wing
propoganda books i have lying around ;) Oh, or the
awful truth on dvd or noam chomsky's manufacturing
consent dvd or...

As a side point i saw life and debt last night, very
good film if anyone gets to see it. Oh, and listen to
kinesis :)

> >If we're going to promote Linux, then we need to
> build on that list and
> >give a good explanation of each benefit. We also
> need to understand the
> >disadvantages of the average Linux system:
[snip list of problems]

I would refer you to the talk that Daniel someone (aq
will say who) gave on the short comings of linux/unix
at HAL. Basic example - man, someone needs to make an
english version of that. Bambam would argue that what
needs to happen is for us to write a new operating
system from scratch, i would disagree but hey...

>>We might like it but is it right for everyone? I
>>reckon the answer is a qualified "yes".
> I don't think linux is currently the right choice
> for everyone but I have no
> doubts that in 5/10/15 (delete with hindsight) years
> linux (or a project
> following linux) will provide a comprehensive
> solution.  Until linux passes
> the mom test with everybodies mom it is difficult to
> see how it can provide
> a solution for everyone.

I would agree.  It's taken me a good 2/3 months to get
round to putting linux on my laptop, i just didn't
feel an overwhelming compulsion to do it and i didn't
have the time so windows it was.  Linux is getting
ready for average joe, but I wouldn't like to put off
said joe by recomending an operating system that isn't
ready yet.

Personally i feel we should be pushing linux for
smoothwall gateway purposes, why spend £200 on a
linksys gateway when you can get a smoothwall box for
free? Once people are aware of linux in such devices
it will help with the eventual push for the desktop.

fizz

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer