[Wolves] Promoting Linux

Adam Sweet wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 9 14:23:00 2003

In short, to Sparkes, Matt R and Fizzy I will just
say, "Yes" to most of what has been raised

> Linux is getting ready for average joe, but I
> wouldn't like to put off said joe by recomending an
> operating system that isn't ready yet.

Yes

> Personally i feel we should be pushing linux for
> smoothwall gateway purposes, why spend £200 on a
> linksys gateway when you can get a smoothwall box
> for
> free?

Or an ADSL router for near £100 and a firewall for
however much. My smoothwall machine cost me £5 for the
motherboard, processor and ram, plus a case and
network card and a few other parts needed for the
installation only (CDROM, monitor, graphics card) that
I already had.

Imagine what other companies would charge for a
similar product.

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk