[Wolves] Wiki

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 28 08:24:01 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 20:41:20 +0100, Aquarius <aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org>
wrote:

> Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
>> I think I was put off by MoinMoin's lack of security. I know the whole
>> Wiki ethos is one of allowing anyone to edit a page etc. but that's not
>> appropriate for what I'm doing.
>
> Really? Why? Ignore the fact that someone could *conceptually* edit your
> pages; will anyone do so? We've got a web phone list at work, which I
> built, and anyone can edit anyone else's details. No-one does so, though,
> and there are therefore no security hoops to jump through to edit your
> own. It's a whole new world of trust and peace.

A closed off environment, like a workplace, is different to public website,
tho'. I suppose the eejits that hack sites often do it for the challenge
but surely there's enough eejits out there who don't care about the
challenge. I mean, the type of people who break into other people's houses
just to trash 'em up don't do it for a challenge.

I want the wiki for a style guide, which is an authoratitive document. If
it can be compromised, its useless.

I think that open wikis are a great idea for a lot of situations ... I just
don't want to have to buy into a whole ideology just to use a piece of
software :)

Matt.