[Wolves] Wiki

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 28 10:49:01 2003

Hi Matt,

I think if you want to create an authorotive document,
a Wiki is a bad idea. Remember hat *anyone* can edit
it and hence remove edits and delete it. You can
always reinstall from a backup, but that can be a
pain.

Some Wiki's have functionality to limit who can make
edits, but then that kinda ruins the whole idea I
think.

Just some comments. :)

  Jono

--- Matthew Revell <matt@understated.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003 20:41:20 +0100, Aquarius
> <aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
> >> I think I was put off by MoinMoin's lack of
> security. I know the whole
> >> Wiki ethos is one of allowing anyone to edit a
> page etc. but that's not
> >> appropriate for what I'm doing.
> >
> > Really? Why? Ignore the fact that someone could
> *conceptually* edit your
> > pages; will anyone do so? We've got a web phone
> list at work, which I
> > built, and anyone can edit anyone else's details.
> No-one does so, though,
> > and there are therefore no security hoops to jump
> through to edit your
> > own. It's a whole new world of trust and peace.
>
> A closed off environment, like a workplace, is
> different to public website,
> tho'. I suppose the eejits that hack sites often do
> it for the challenge
> but surely there's enough eejits out there who don't
> care about the
> challenge. I mean, the type of people who break into
> other people's houses
> just to trash 'em up don't do it for a challenge.
>
> I want the wiki for a style guide, which is an
> authoratitive document. If
> it can be compromised, its useless.
>
> I think that open wikis are a great idea for a lot
> of situations ... I just
> don't want to have to buy into a whole ideology just
> to use a piece of
> software :)
>
> Matt.

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Web Developer - Musician - Writer - Freelancer