[Wolves] Wikis - an article

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 31 06:55:00 2003

Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
> Okay, I reckon I'd quite like to write an article on wikis, for
> ContentPeople. I've got quite a bit of material gathered together and I'm
> getting a review copy of The Wiki Way through the post soon. However, does
> anyone here have any thoughts on wikis? Specifically, I think I'm going to
> write the article from the point of view that wikis offer perhaps one of
> the true implementations of what the web was created for - easy sharing of
> information amongst like minded people, for the sake of it. I think wikis
> are interesting because of their shift from top down to collaborative
> publishing. Does anyone have anything to say about it?

Hm. Not a lot other than "I agree", although I think that the notion of
collaborative publishing is enabled but rarely actually *done* by wikis. I see
them being used quite a bit more as a place where a main author or author
group can put up things online which can be corrected by everyone, rather than
true collaboration (if such a thing exists...)

Aq.

--
Two things I learned for sure during a particularly intense acid trip
in my own lost youth: (1) everything is a trivial special case of