[Wolves] wishes

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 11:10:56 GMT 2003

Chris

there seems to be some precedence for companies that advertise Linux boxes having loads of problems with hardware manufacturers because M$ puts the pressure on in some form
m$ is some great hulking giant, linux may just be the stone in Davids slingshot

the biggest problem with selling linux boxes is how you cope with technical support. without either training for customers or lots of support staff (too expensive) or a hardline "you mess it up, you're on your own" policy (which wouldn't help sales) you would quickly end up with a lot of pee'd off customers with "i don't understand Linux, windows didn't do this" type complaints and the business would grind to a halt
it would have to be co-ordinated with cheap/free courses on how to cope with linux, or someone would have to write a newbies guide to linux on the desktop with diagrams and pictures and arrows and 8x10 colour glossies and implements of destruction

quite a task

on the other hand
there is the sneaky smugness to be had from not being mainstream and from using a "probably too complex for joe average OS" and the temptation to think "grrrr, make it harder, keep the riffraff out"

but i do think that properly configured boxes with  Mandrake 9.1 on would sell well once ppl realised how it shapes up compared to winxx

nux