Fedora woes was Re: [Wolves] Morphix/Debian and CD drives

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 15:55:05 BST 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:

> Yum is supposed to do a similar trick of finding software but either I'm
> inputting the wrong command or command format it will only find stuff if
> you give the full info i.e cdroast.mna-6356.i386.rpm (this is fictitious
> by the way) if you just put cdroast it finds nothing.

Apt will work with something like "apt-get install mozilla-firefox"
rather than "apt-get install firefox" but all you have to do is either
use a nice graphical tool, like Synaptic, which categorises all the
software for you, or type "apt-cache search firefox" which looks through
the package list you have and will tell you what you need to type in.

I've never used Yum, tho'.

> I tried to install apt on my Fedora laptop but it got as far as make and
> went t*@& up on me. so now I have bits of apt sitting on my HDD wasting
> storage.

Have you seen http://www.freshrpms.net? That has an RPM for APT, that
makes it nice and easy.

> Its a bit of a bloke thing, you know? we all have an old jumper, coat or
> shirt probably got holes in it but we wont chuck it out we feel safe in
> it!

I started off with SuSe 7.3 and still like SuSe very much. I didn't
wanna keep paying, every six months, to upgrade. So, I switched to RH8.0
then, RH9 and more recently Fedora Core 1. It's only recently that I've
moved away from the Red Hat world :)

> I started off with RH9 I like the stupid things that I know you will
> all say can be done with any OS i.e. the confirmation beep when you get
> to the log in screen, I like the System Monitor which is like Task
> manager I understand that and has got me out of trouble many a time.

Yeah, that's available under Gnome, so under Debian running Gnome. I'd
say the main things you'd miss are the nice graphic config tools for
things like Samba shares. There's not much tho', and Apt really does
make up for it.

> However there are bits of Suse I like too so I suppose there's a Linux
> evolution to be had Fedse?

Well, I think both should switch to running Apt, immediately. Fedora I
can't really see the point of, any more. It has these nice tools but
then it doesn't automount Windows partitions and RPM is a nightmare. I
keep meaning to look at Mandrake but it never seems to like whatever
hardware I try it on :)

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.