Fedora woes was Re: [Wolves] Morphix/Debian and CD drives

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Tue Apr 13 16:12:27 BST 2004

Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
> Well, I think both should switch to running Apt, immediately. Fedora I
> can't really see the point of, any more. It has these nice tools but
> then it doesn't automount Windows partitions and RPM is a nightmare. I
> keep meaning to look at Mandrake but it never seems to like whatever
> hardware I try it on :)

Ah, you see, apt itself isn't the clever thing. I mean, it does some
fairly complex dependency calculation, but that's just a logical
outfall of the idea of having dependencies specified. The reason why
Debian always works isn't because of apt, it's because the Debian
archive is full of debs that are rigorously specified, so they do
mention all their dependencies. If you install a Debian app and it
doesn't work then it is a grave bug, minimum. Once you've got a big
collection of packages which have proper dependency relationships, then
implementing apt is the easy bit :)

Aq.

--
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad.