Fedora woes was Re: [Wolves] Morphix/Debian and CD drives

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 09:18:49 BST 2004

Hi Peter

Great name by the way :-)

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 19:19, Peter Oliver wrote:

> Fedora Core includes yum rather than apt, presumably because it makes more
> direct use of the RPM metadata rather than having to have seperate index
> files.  Fedora Extras, hosted for now at "http://www.fedora.us/", includes
> apt.

Phew spoken like a pro I'm a bit nervous vis a vie the US connection as
Yum config says there could be some compatibility issue with UK sites.

> > Apt is Debian's equivalent of RPM
>
> No it isn't.

"Don't look at me I'm irrelevant" -young ones series 1

> Apt is a tool for selecting packages for installation and downloading
> them.  It works with both .deb and .rpm packages.  RPM users also have a
> few other choices for this job, including yum, red-carpet and up2date.

Ah now there's a thing I use Red-carpet for installing things from disk
or file as it will look for dependencies on the net, however Red-carpet
and RPM seem to keep their own database of installed software if I do
add and remove the package manager reckons oOo is not installed (it is)
Red-carpet on the other hand confirms that it is.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

I sit on a mans back chocking him and making him carry me
and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for
him and wish to ease his lot by any means possible except
getting off his back!
--Tolstoy