[Wolves] Broken xlibs on debian

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Sun Apr 25 00:49:22 BST 2004

fizzy spoo'd forth:
> hey,
>
> Following Aq's advice (never a good thing ;) ) I
> removed xlibs from my machine, hoping that would
> remove all the kde crap and then install waimwm and
> feel all clean again.
>
> It removed everything ok, but when I try to install
> xlibs again I get:
>
> dpkg: error processing: (path to xlibs .deb)
> trying to overwrite /etc/X11/xkb/README
>
> and then falls over horribly.  I've tried removing
> that file manually, and that didn't help.

Don't remove files that a Debian package installed. The package
manager will not care that you have removed them, because *it*
still thinks they are there.

Instead, work out what package that file is in (by looking on
packages.debian.org (quick, needs net access) or by using
"dpkg -S /path/to/file"), and then remove that package. If you're
still getting errors when you try to apt-get remove the package,
try forcibly removing it with "dpkg --remove <packagename>".

Aq.

--
"Wow," Villig said on re-entry. "It's all still here. The sky, the
earth, all that stuff. Cool. And no snakes."