[Wolves] PGP

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 11:21:16 BST 2004

On Thursday 12 Aug 2004 10:22, The wise and knowledgeable Old Dan proclaimed:

> You need to, er, have the appropriate crypto plug-in installed.  ;)

Probably not, but there lye's the nub (I'm not complaining) IMHO why should I
load another piece of software to display one or two peoples mails (not only
on this list I might add) when a good 95% of peoples mails are displayed
fine. :-)

> Do you actually have the gnupg RPM installed perchance?  Gnupg appears
> to be what Ron is using.

Don't know, its way down on the list of necessities

> TBH I'm not sold on it yet either for groups like this.  The reason I
> have enigmail for Tbird installed is so I didn't have to see the
> signatures anymore.  :)

The only good method is Verisign Digital Identity with that you have to supply
your passport or drivers license to prove you are who you say you are and pay
a yearly fee your identity can then be verified by Verisign the ones you
produce yourself ain't worth the paper they're printed on as anyone could
have produced them so its a bit pointless really.

I looked into this last year for work but as the Digital Sig is personal (you
can get company one but they are V. expensive) the feeling was the company
didn't want to pay for something that related to me only plus I wasn't too
keen on posting off important documents.

> However, I can see how it could be incredibly useful in some situations
> and as/if it becomes more ubiquitous it could then become useful to
> groups like this for poster identity verification.

Possibly but I stand by the above comments. :-)

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"