[Wolves] PGP

fizzy fizzyorguk at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 13:19:13 BST 2004

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> Having said all that you are CORRECT even a verisign
> ID is not infallable but
> I still firmly believe verisign is 1000 times better
> than a home grown
> version. :-)

I'm sure John is currently foaming at the mouth.

To sign up for verisign you send them a document
(passport etc) and they confirm that you are that
person.  As you've said, this is rather easily broken
(send a stolen passport, you are that other person).

The web of trust works by me saying I am who I am.
Then sparkes saying, yup he is who he is.  If you want
to check I am who I say I am you follow the path...
"oh, if sparkes says who he is he /must/ be who he
is".

Of course, this method too is pretty breakable, unless
sparkes has seen my passport etc does he actually know
I am who I say I am?

But at least the second method is free :)

> Peter Cannon
fizz

=====
--
Bloody B3ta loving, iPod wearing fool, in my skate tshirts and duffle coat.