[Wolves] PGP

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 13:39:02 BST 2004

On Thursday 12 Aug 2004 13:19, The wise and knowledgeable fizzy proclaimed:

> I'm sure John is currently foaming at the mouth.

Ooh and I'm not?

> The web of trust works by me saying I am who I am.
> Then sparkes saying, yup he is who he is.  If you want
> to check I am who I say I am you follow the path...
> "oh, if sparkes says who he is he /must/ be who he
> is".

A bit thin don't you think? look at the bigger picture. The concept of you
sending me a PGP mail is fine I don't know you I've not met you but I know
your a member of this list so on that basis and that basis alone I trust your
mails.

However in the big bad world its a different kettle of fish.

This is the point thats being missed, everyone is thinking in terms of the
list rather than globally infact we do not need PGP because if I follow the
ethos of web of trust we already have that by way of communication with each
other via the list eg. wolvs-lug is our ID/key (Know theres a thought)

> Of course, this method too is pretty breakable, unless
> sparkes has seen my passport etc does he actually know
> I am who I say I am?
>
> But at least the second method is free :)

I like free but thats the problem because its free everyones got it and
everyone thinks they should use it.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"