[Wolves] Slackware

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 15:53:31 BST 2004

On Monday 16 Aug 2004 15:16, The wise and knowledgeable Philip Moore
proclaimed:

Hi Phil

> I too have used it as a testbeb on an old computer for the same reason.

While this is of no value to you here is the settings I worked from:

X Windows
XFree 4.0.1 did not work even though the Chips and Technologies C65548 is
supported. I had to drop back and use 3.3.6 from Slackware 7.1. Using this
version is a simple install, then run /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config. Select
monitor extended SVGA, vertical 50-90, ps-2 mouse, US 101 kb, and SVGA
server. Chipset 193, video memory 1024.

I may try a different vertical rate and see what happens but as it took so god
dam long to get GUI up and running I'm a bit loathed to mess with it.

I downloaded Icewm for Slackware this morning and intend to install that
tonight (wife permitting) I don't think it will solve the screen problem but
I'm hoping it will give me better functionality than fwm2 (I think thats what
its called)

I felt the install screen instructions are a bit misleading as I did a HDD
install from the Windows partition the blurb on the first screen talked about
the folder that slackware was in when really all it had to say was "what
partition holds the files" and nothing else, then on the second as is, ask
where the files are.

I had a couple of problems as I said earlier also Lilo only reported the Linux
partition at first but a quick re-install of Lilo and all was well.

Ive played with about 80% of the Linux distro's available but currently stick
to Fedora Core 2, (Dell Latitude CPi Laptop) Suse Pro 9.1 (Hyunju PC)
Slackware (Digital HiNote Laptop).

Phew I'm starting to sound as if I understand this stuff!

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"