[Wolves] Slackware

Philip Moore ptm48 at uklinux.net
Mon Aug 16 15:17:38 BST 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 09:43, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Sunday 15 Aug 2004 23:55, The wise and knowledgeable Philip Moore
> proclaimed:
>
> Hi Philip
>
> > Is it worth persuing Slackware?
>
> I don't know if its worth it or not but after two weeks I have finally
> managed to get Slackware 8.1 with X from 7.0 to work on a P133 40MB 3.5GB
> HDD Digital HiNote laptop (no CD-Rom) for me the benefit is it runs very
> well on a minimum of 16MB however it is very spartan and so may only be of
> use for simple stuff.
>
> I followed install instructions off the Web but the guy who wrote it must
> have done some slightly different option selections to the ones given as
> the display is about four times bigger than the screen so I have to use the
> pointer to bring things into the display area.

> to manually create /fonts then /Speedo /Type1 /misc /100dpi /75dpi
> re-install X then do /usr/X11R6/bin/X11/xf86config this allowed me to run
> through the config program and after thinking about it up came a graphical
> desktop "whoopee" I intend to use it for learning Bash so it wont matter if
> I knacker it by putting in the wrong command.
>
> This probably doesn't answer your question but I saw the subject line and
> couldn't resist.

Hi

Interested to see your experiences - I thought I was alone in having
difficulties and everybody else found the process easy!

I noted your observations relating to the screen - I found that the desktop
(and the text display) was larger than the screen (the bottom anf right hand
sections were missing) and when I tried to alter the resolution to resolve
the problem the refresh rate changed (by default) and the screen was
virtually unreadable (very dark - I have yet to find out why?)

I too have used it as a testbeb on an old computer for the same reason.

Regards

Philip Moore