[Wolves] Ubuntu: Reconfiguring hardware

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 15:09:10 GMT 2004

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:49:50 +0000, Jono Bacon <jono at jonobacon.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For my dads christmas present this year, I want to solve the utter hell
> he is having with Windows and install Linux on his computer. My question
> is this, I was considering buying him a 30GB hard drive and then
> installing Ubuntu on it on my own computer. Is it possible to then take
> the hard drive, shove it in his computer and have it automatically
> detect hardware and configure the system?
>
> If this is not possible, I will just install it on his PC while I am there.
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Jono
>
> --

I'm guessing that it might be better installing it on the target
machine straight off.  I haven't tried this sort of swap with a Linux
box but I have with Windows and it doesn't like it one bit.  No doubt
Linux would work - Windows generally doesn't - but it would have to go
through the same detection process as if it were being installed on
that PC.  So why bother?  Ok, it is easier to put things on at home
rather than somewhere else.  I usually take charge of whoevers PC I am
working on and take it home with me rather than try to rush things in
situ'.

Would Linux leave any configuration files in place from the first set
of hardware?  I know the mess Windows leaves behind and that Linux is
a lot cleaner but could there be any issues here?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street